Brandywine Alumni Spotlight: Bradley Ulmer, class of 2018

Bradley Ulmer

Bradley Ulmer, a 2018 Penn State alumnus, majored in business with a management option at the Brandywine campus.

Credit: Bradley Ulmer

MEDIA, Pa. – Six years after graduating from Penn State, Bradley Ulmer, class of 2018, is giving back to Brandywine’s baseball team in big ways.

Ulmer began his Penn State journey at Brandywine in 2014, majoring in business with a management option. He chose to attend the Brandywine campus because he wanted to pursue a collegiate baseball career, and the coach was able to provide him with that.

“When I was coming out of high school, I had a lot of interest in colleges where I was able to play baseball,” he said. “Head Coach Vinny Gallo was super persistent in getting me to come to Brandywine. He pretty much sold me on the program.”

Ulmer was very involved during his time at Brandywine, as he was a pitcher on the baseball team. He recalls his road trips to away games as his favorite memory.

“All the road trips I had with my teammates to away games are my favorite memories at Brandywine,” he said. “Playing baseball was such a huge part of my Brandywine experience. All the times we were on the road together and going to cool places to play ball were some of my favorite times there.”

Upon graduating from Brandywine, Ulmer realized that he wanted to stay connected with his baseball roots. In 2019, he decided to put an ad on Facebook so he could start doing baseball lessons.

“Between Coach Vinny and a lot of my other baseball mentors, a lot of people shared it and helped get the ball rolling from there,” he said. “I ended up coaching some students from Penn State Brandywine. When they graduate, I always tell them to keep Penn State Brandywine in their back pocket because it’ll always be there for them as a resource like it was for me.”

Currently, Ulmer works for Chubb — a large commercial and personal property insurance company — as a construction partnership account manager. In his role, he works with construction companies to provide insurance to them. He noted he got his job at Chubb thanks to a friend of his at Brandywine.

“One of my friends from Penn State Brandywine worked at Chubb and told me about the company and that it was hiring,” he said. “He really helped me land my position here.”

Ulmer said what he enjoys most about his job is the collaboration he gets to do with people around the world.

“Since Chubb is a global company, it’s very cool to collaborate with a lot of people around the world. They help our systems work a lot faster and smoother,” he said.

I know it’s very cliche to say but enjoy your time in college. When you’re in college, it’s a lot of fun, but when you get into the real world, life starts and it can get hectic.

—Bradley Ulmer , class of 2018

When asked what advice he would give to Penn State students, he said to enjoy the time you have as a college student.

“I know it’s very cliche to say but enjoy your time in college. When you’re in college, it’s a lot of fun, but when you get into the real world, life starts and it can get hectic,” he said. “Make sure to enjoy your time and live in the moment. Make sure you’re getting good grades, too.”