Brandywine Student Spotlight: Philippe Latour

philippe latour

Philippe Latour

Credit: Penn State

Year: First

Major: Corporate Innovation and Entrepreneurship

Involvement: Vice president, Entrepreneurship Club; member, Student Government Association; member, THON; member, Brandywine Events and Activities Student Team; emerging entrepreneur, Legendary World

Brandywine: What was your deciding factor in coming to Penn State Brandywine?

Latour: I liked how small Brandywine was, and I liked that it was close to home. I like how the class sizes are smaller compared to larger universities, so that’s the reason why I chose to come here.

Brandywine: How did you choose your major?

Latour: In 11th grade, I took an entrepreneurship course, and it was my favorite course in high school. My teacher had a large impact on me and taught me all about the field. After I finished the class, I started selling snacks at school and made a good amount of money. That experience made me realize I wanted to create my own business in the future so I could have financial freedom.

Brandywine: What challenges have you faced at Brandywine, if any?

Latour: Meeting new people and adjusting to college life from high school was the biggest challenge I faced last semester.

Brandywine: Who at Brandywine has supported you, and how?

Latour: Tony Mattei, director of entrepreneurship and digital marketing, has been my biggest support system here. He’s been mentoring me a lot and helping me come up with steps to further develop my business. I know I can always go to him for advice. Also, Tina Bracket-Wood (student activities and recreation coordinator) and Eliel Acosta-Solalinde (assistant director of student equity and inclusion programming) have supported me during my time here.

Brandywine: As a first-year student, how have you been adjusting to college life?

Latour: It’s been both challenging and rewarding because I deal with these struggles but then I’m able to adapt and overcome them. Getting used to the college workload and making new friends were struggles at the beginning of the year but meeting those goals has been very rewarding.

Brandywine: What made you interested in creating your own business and taking part in the Idea TestLab Pitch Competition through the Brandywine LaunchBox?

Latour: I created my own business because I wanted to start a life for myself and try to establish my financial freedom early. My company, Legendary World, is a sustainable fashion company that makes clothes out of recycled materials.

I got involved with the Idea TestLab Pitch Competition through one of Brandywine’s alumni, Meaghan Daly. I connected with her through LionLink, a website where Penn State students can connect with alumni, because I saw she was an entrepreneur. She told me about the program, so I emailed Tony, who led the program, to learn more information, and I was hooked. It was a great experience overall.

Brandywine: What takeaways do you have from your time in the pitch competition?

Latour: One of the key takeaways I have from my time in the competition was how to be a good presenter. I learned how important it is to be enthusiastic and not be boring when presenting to get people’s attention. I also learned some really valuable information about how to attract investors. After the presentation, I kept thinking about ways I wanted to improve and expand my business.

Being involved has been great. I’m making so many friends, and I’m talking to more people than I ever did before.

—Philippe Latour , first-year corporate innovation and entrepreneurship major, Penn State Brandywine

Brandywine: With your involvement at Brandywine, how has your time on campus been impacted?

Latour: Being involved has been great. I’m making so many friends, and I’m talking to more people than I ever did before. I love going to club meetings and attending the bigger events on campus. I love socializing with everyone here.

Brandywine: What’s your favorite memory you’ve made at Brandywine?

Latour: Going to All-U Day at University Park was definitely my favorite memory so far. It was my first time going to State College, and it was my first Penn State football game. What made it really special too was that Penn State won the game. Afterward, I got to spend time at the Penn State Berkey Creamery with my friends, which was fun. It was a special memory for me.

Brandywine: What’s been the most valuable lesson you’ve learned at Brandywine?

Latour: The most valuable lesson I’ve learned is to use your time wisely. It’s important to use all your time effectively, especially when it comes to developing a work-life balance.