SHRM Learning System® for SHRM-CP™ and SHRM-SCP™ Certification Preparation Course
The new SHRM certification recognizes that HR professionals are at the core of leading organizational success. It is built upon one singular body of knowledge designed to elevate the HR profession around the world. It ensures that the HR professional possesses the relevant HR knowledge required for today's workplace, but it goes one step further. The SHRM certification tests the HR professional's competencies - the ability to put knowledge to work through critical thinking and application.
Please add me to the SHRM database for information about the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP course.
SHRM conducted an intensive research study to define, in addition to competencies, the body of knowledge that is relevant to today's global HR professional. As a result of this extensive research, HR knowledge has been grouped by common themes into four knowledge domains.
- People: Talent Acquisition and Retention; Employee Engagement; Learning and Development; and Total Rewards
- Organization: Structure of the HR Function; Organizational Effectiveness and Development; Workforce management; Employee Relations; and Technology and Data
- Workplace: HR in the Global Context; Diversity and Inclusion; Risk Management; Corporate Social Responsibility; and Employment Law and Regulations (U.S. only)
- Strategy: Business and HR Strategy
To further define how HR professionals apply HR knowledge, skills, and abilities, the following competencies have been identified:
- HR Expertise - The ability to apply the principles and practices of HR management to contribute to the success of the business.
- Relationship Management - The ability to manage interactions to provide service and support the organization.
- Consultation - The ability to provide guidance to organizational stakeholders.
- Leadership and Navigation - The ability to direct and contribute to initiatives and processes within the organizations.
- Communication - The ability to effectively exchange with stakeholders.
- Global and Cultural Effectiveness - The ability to value and consider the perspectives and backgrounds of all parties.
- Ethical Practice - The ability to support and uphold the values of the organization while mitigating risk.
- Business Acumen - The ability to understand and apply information to contribute to the organization's strategic plan.
- Critical Evaluation - The ability to interpret information to make business decisions and recommendation.
Benefits of the Learning System Program
By attending our review course, you'll benefit from:
- An experienced, certified instructor
- The SHRM Learning System, historically ranked the #1 HR certification prep tool
- A structured learning experience that keeps you on track
- Opportunities to network and learn from your peers
- Tuition reimbursement (check with your company) and up to 36 professional development credits (PDCs)
SHRM Instructor Profile
E. Joy McFerren, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
Senior HR Business Leader
Joy McFerren is a strategic HR Business Leader with experience in medical devices, manufacturing, distribution, pharmaceutical and hospitality industries. She possess leadership, business acumen, creativity and concern for people. Her expertise in providing full-service HR support including organizational development, employee relations, and guidance to site management teams and collaborative management style makes her an effective change agent in a variety of structures. McFerren has a proven ability to establish strong partnership with management teams to build environments with high performance standards and high value on human capital. She teaches the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP review course using the SHRM Learning System and online resources in a caring and competent manner. Her ultimate goal is that all the students pass the SHRM exam.
The requirements have changed for certification, minimizing barriers to participation; the new exam is affordable, making certification attainable my more professionals.
For any other questions of general information about the new HRM Certification credentials, please visit SHRMCertification.org.
Fall 2017 Fee and Class Schedule
SHRM Certification Review Course
Dates: Fall SHRM class will meet Thursdays, September 14 - December 7
Times: 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Cost: $1,450 - estimated (includes books and program materials)
Register here for the SHRM CP-SCP Learning System Review
Location: Choose from Penn State Abington, Penn State Berks, Penn State Brandywine, Penn State Harrisburg, or Penn State York. This course will be video broadcast between campuses. The instructor will alternate teaching sites. Be sure to register at the campus of your choice and no later than March 1 to ensure books for the first night of class.
Tuition reimbursement: Check with your employer to determine if you are eligible for employer tuition reimbursement.
Questions, please contact Margaret Bacheler at 610-892-1300.