Consultations by phone or appointment are available for parents, students, faculty, staff members, or friends who wish to speak with Counseling Services about a student suffering from emotional stress and learn more about counseling services and referrals.

The Counseling Services staff has experience working with the needs of college students. We can help students clarify whether what they are experiencing is healthy and normal or represents a concern that could benefit from or require professional treatment. We are happy to speak with you about next steps in getting your student the support they need. For more information about how you can assist your student, please call 610-892-1270 to speak with someone at Counseling Services.

NOTE: Please be aware that there are legal limitations to what can be shared with parents, friends, and family members due to federal and state laws that protect confidentiality. Written permission is required to reveal information about the student, including whether they have scheduled or attended appointments. At those times you may want to use the leverage of your concern and your relationship to encourage your student to seek help.

If a student is imminently suicidal or endangering their life, immediate action is required please refer to our crisis intervention page.  For more detailed information on how to respond to a mental health situation, please refer to our Penn State Brandywine Mental Health Resources document.

Here is some helpful information about Counseling Services:

  • We provides a range of services which typically begin with a triage appointment. 
  • A counselor can help you figure out how to talk with your student about your concerns for them and, when indicated, encourage scheduling an appointment at Counseling Services.
  • Students are legally considered adults. Therefore, we request that the student schedule their own appointments.
  • While we can talk with you about your concern for your student, due to ethical and legal requirements for confidentiality we would only be able to share specific information about your student's attendance at sessions, issues or treatment recommendations if they have signed a written release allowing us to do so.
  • If you are concerned about a mental health emergency after business hours, you or your student should call 911 or visit your nearest Emergency Room.
  • Since Counseling Services provides short-term individual services only, we often will refer students with ongoing or chronic conditions to services within the community. You can help your student by informing them of insurance coverage or helping them to access that information.
  • If you would like assistance with locating a private practitioner in the local community, Counseling Services is pleased to assist with referral services. 
  • Counseling Services can also suggest other resources on campus and in the greater Penn State University community that may be helpful.