Basketball player Learon Pray joins the 1,000-pt club this season

Former Chester High School standout Learon Pray became the second Penn State Brandywine student to reach the 1,000-point mark this season on Tuesday, Jan. 22, in a home game against Valley Forge Christian College.

Pray needed only one point going into Tuesday night's contest to accomplish the scoring breakthrough that only four other men's Brandywine basketball players have achieved. His 1,000th point came three minutes into the game when he stepped up to the foul line and made a free throw.

"In my head I knew I would get it on the foul line," said Pray. "I am very proud and happy that I did something I can look back on in the future when I'm done my basketball career."

Pray is currently earning his bachelor's degree in business from Brandywine and plans to graduate in May 2014. Upon receiving his degree he hopes to begin a career in the financial field.

Head Coach Stuart Ross is also proud of Pray's achievement. "Learon has been with the Brandywine program through its peaks and valleys and I am happy to see him achieve something that he can carry with him for the rest of his life," said Ross, who has led the team to a 14-7 overall record with a 11-2 conference record and has high hopes for the men's squad this season, "We want to win as a team and remain humble and hungry to our goal of a championship." 

The team will play their final home games of the regular season before heading into the playoffs on Saturday, Feb. 2, at 3 p.m. and Tuesday, Feb. 5, at 7 p.m. when they host Penn State Hazelton and Penn State Lehigh Valley, respectively.