Campus hosts 30th annual Woodcarving and Wildlife Art Show Nov. 2-3

Penn State Brandywine will host the 30th Annual William Rush Woodcarving and Wildlife Art Show and Sale on Saturday, Nov. 2, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday, Nov. 3, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The event, which will be held in the Commons Building gymnasium, will feature hand-carved birds, animals, marine life, wildlife art and more for sale, all created by skilled artists. Door prizes will be awarded every hour; books, tools and supplies will be offered for sale and carving demonstrations will be held. The price of admission is a $4 donation benefiting the Penn State Brandywine Scholarship Fund. Children aged 12 and under are free with an adult.

Each year the chapter names a William Rush Carver of the Year. This year's winner is Glenda Schreffler-Beck, a self-taught wood burner. "What got me started with wood burning was a wood burning starter kit for a Christmas gift," she explained. "Although I had drawn and painted since I was a little girl, I had never tried wood burning. My father, who was also an artist, was also a woodcarver and belonged to the William Rush Woodcarver's Club and attended their shows for many years."

Schreffler-Beck's wood burning skills are so well known, she's even produced some pieces for celebrities. "I did a wood burning for the actor Val Kilmer ("Top Gun") that was auctioned off at his ranch in New Mexico for charity," she said. "I also did one of Martin Klebba (appeared in the first three "Pirates Of The Caribbean" movies) that he signed and then auctioned off at a charity event that he held." 

In her spare time, Schreffler-Beck is a pirate. She belongs to a pirate crew called Valhalla's Pirates. Together they attend pirate festivals and put on shows in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland. She also enjoys reading and antique shopping.