The LION OWL is Penn State Brandywine's Online Writing Lab.
A Virtual Writing Studio!
Do you work long hours?
Do you seldom have time to sit down to write until after 6 p.m.?
Do you want to become a better writer?
Do you want to save gas money on a trip to Penn State?
The LION OWL can help you.
The LION OWL is a service we offer to students and staff at the Penn State Brandywine campus who, because of work or other commitments, find it difficult to use our face-to-face Writing Studio in the upper level of the Vairo Library. The LION OWL has the same mission as our walk-in center: to help our students and staff become better writers by promoting and supporting the teaching, practice, and study of writing as a form of engaged critical inquiry and social action.
Online appointments are available Sunday through Wednesday, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sign up for appointments through our online scheduling system and look for tutors with OWL next to their name on the schedule.
What to Expect?
The OWL offers an interactive online space to work one-on-one with our Writing Studio tutors to improve your writing. We strive to preserve the same collaborative tutoring sessions that you have in the Writing Studio. As in face-to-face sessions, we do not write or proofread papers for you, but we will help you understand your assignments, brainstorm ideas, evaluate your thesis, strengthen your support, improve your organization, and more. Writers should expect to actively participate in their online tutoring sessions by using our new online interactive whiteboard space and chat function. The chat function allows you and your tutor to discuss your writing, ask questions, clarify ideas, etc. And the interactive whiteboard space allows you and the tutor to work on the document together.
- Sessions will be 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on use by other students.
- You will need to have access to a computer with Internet access and be logged into our online scheduling system for your session so that you and your tutor can work on your writing together.
- If it’s your first time using the online whiteboard space, you should join the online session early and familiarize yourself with the online session instructions.
How the new OWL differs from our previous OWL:
We have a new online writing lab space this spring that is part of our new online scheduling system and there are some differences.
- You will no longer enter ANGEL to use the OWL; instead sign in and schedule your OWL sessions at https://brandywine.mywconline.com.
- You will no longer need to queue up or wait in line in the ANGEL chat room until a tutor is available. Now you can schedule your OWL session ahead of time and login at your appointed time. If you find the OWL completely booked, please let us know by joining the waitlist or emailing the Writing Studio.
- You will need to remain online for your session so that you can chat with your tutor about your document.
- Rather than uploading a draft to ANGEL, you will import your document into the interactive whiteboard space and “chat” about it with the tutor.
- Tutors will no longer upload documents with “Comments” and “Track Changes” to ANGEL.